Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Skinny Gene

I am one of those people that eat and eat and eat and rarely exercise yet I have been the same weight since I was twelve. Most of my friends say well it’s not fair because we work so hard to keep up our shape but you lose weight while sitting on the couch. I blamed it on my father whose diet consists of coca cola and fries and is the size of an 18 year old boy but there is a more scientific explanation to this. Scientists have recently found a gene that regulates the way you handle the fat you intake and in some people is turned on and some people turned off. For me for example, adipose SIRT1 gene says well, she has enough fat on her body so she does not need to store it and on the other side of the spectrum a persons adipose SIRT1 gene could say they need to store the fat in case there is a shortage of food.

In the mice, the researchers found that increasing adipose activity improved the animals’ health in many ways. Mice with experimentally increased adipose SIRT1 activity ate as much or more than normal mice; however, they were leaner, had diabetes-resistant fat cells, and were better able to control insulin and blood-sugar metabolism.
In contrast, animals with reduced adipose activity were fatter, less healthy and had diabetes. The researchers’ work on flies showed that the gene is “dose-sensitive” — that is, the various combinations of the gene’s variants lead to a range of body types from slim to medium to obese.
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept353744/files/409858.html

The new fountain of youth is here, SIRT1' newest wonder drug. Did you sense the sarcasm yet? But if drugs like SIRT1720 are approved in humans perhaps one day we'll all be able to eat this way without any of the consequences! http://www.myresveratrolexperience.com/sirt1/

I've watched friends eat all day long and stay thin. I, on the other hand, must watch every little thing I put into my mouth. Finally, scientists have discovered what I've suspected all along--there is a "skinny gene." The journal, Cell Metabolism, published on Sept. 4th states that scientists have discovered such a gene. Actually, a student at Yale University, Winifred Doane discovered a gene in fruit flies that she named "adipose" over 50 years ago. Dr. Jonathan Graff, associate professor of developmental biology and internal medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, said, "We all have it. It's very striking." Graff also states, "In times of plenty, these super skinny, sleek and fast flies can easily get away from predators. But in times of shortage, they don't make it." http://www.suite101.com/blog/pytel/the_skinny_gene

Calorie counters everywhere are probably hoping that the gene will soon turn “on” for them or a new pill will be made to activate the adipose SIRT1 gene. Luckily for them the FDA is looking at approving drugs that activate the gene. If the FDA does approve the pills then potentially obesity will decrease and maybe results may see a fall in diabetes some cancers and heart problems. So, next time my friends ask why I am not gaining weight I will simply say I have the skinny gene activated right now but it could shut off at any time and if that day comes then I will have to work just as hard as you do to stay skinny and fit.

1 comment:

  1. When we have the SIRT1 activator drug, how will that shape (pardon the pun) society? Will everyone have access? I wonder about anorexics, the morbidly obese?

    ReplyDelete